town of Red River began in earnest in
the 1870s, when miners were drawn in by
gold strikes in the area and trappers
sought game. It was named after the
perennial stream, Red River, that flowed
through the town, coming from the
northern slopes of Wheeler Peak. By
1895, Red River was a booming mining
camp, with gold, silver, copper, and
molybdenum in some abundance, and a
population estimated at three thousand.
The mines shut down a few years later.
The population waned, but the town
survived. By the 1930s, the remaining
residents turned to tourism as their
principal economic livelihood.